Pullman blanket dating


After a long career, the car was among many older heavyweight Pullmans sold for scrap in the mid-1960s – a victim of the decline in rail passenger service and newer, streamlined sleeping cars.

Rather than being scrapped, Glen Nevis was purchased in 1965 by Freight Master Industries of Fort Worth, a division of Haliburton.

7-Compartment/2- Drawing Room Sleeping Car "Glengyle," Lot 3867, Plan 2522, 1910 12-Section/1-Drawing Room Sleeping Car "Mc Quaig," Lot 4845, Plan 3410, 1925 6-Compartment/3-Drawing Room Sleeping Car "Glen Nevis," Lot 4922, Plan 3523A, 1925 12-Section/1-Drawing Room Sleeping Car "Goliad," Lot 4945, Plan 3410A, 1926 Pullman-Built Passenger Cars: Fort Worth & Denver Business Car "Texland," ex-C&S Cafe Observation, 1900 Santa Fe Railway Parlor-Club Car #3231, Lot 4255, 1914 Texas & Pacific Railway RPO - Baggage Car #916, Built as Coach-Baggage, Lot 4502, 1918 Texas & Pacific Railway #1143 Coach (Modernized), Lot 4569, 1920 Santa Fe Railway Lounge - Barber Shop - Dormitory Car "San Bartolo" #1363, Lot 4807, 1926 Santa Fe Railway Lightweight Coach Observation Car #3197, Lot 6601, Plan 7428, 1940 Perhaps one of the most interesting careers led by our Pullman cars is that of "Glen Nevis." One of the "Glen" series cars, it began life as a 6-compartment, 3-drawing room first class sleeping car used primarily on Seabord’s Orange Blossom Special between New York and Miami.

The car’s reconfiguration included the removal of four accommodations – one drawing room and three compartments.

One room was converted into a kitchen while the other three were opened up into an instrumentation room outfitted with the latest computers.

This included the 1926 Pullman 12-section 1-drawing room sleeping car were slated for use as dormitory space for steelworkers at the plant, although there is no evidence that this took place.

These cars were likely among many headed to scrap at the plant, but instead were donated to the Museum in 1964.

It was donated to the Museum in 1997 and restored to its original 1926 appearance including the application of its original name.